How Matching Gifts Work: FREE MONEY
Many corporations match donations made by employees to support employee charitable giving, and to extend corporate philanthropy.
Matching donations, or matching gifts, are FREE MONEY that nonprofits often miss out on because of limited information on donors’ employers, complex corporate giving programs, and because the corporate matching process is usually unknown for employees.
SEE IF YOUR COMPANY WILL MATCH THE DONATIONS YOU HAVE ALREADY GIVEN TO THE GEF!
Germantown Education Foundation grants support academic programs, teaching, technology and learning initiatives.
Over the past 10 years, the GEF has granted close to ONE MILLION DOLLARS to Germantown Schools.
The 2016 goal of the GEF was to reach into every part of the Germantown community and tell the story of where the GEF has been and where it is going. We did this by starting a much more active phase of community involvement by hosting several events and community outreaches that allowed us to form relationships, build trust and, in the end, help each and every teacher.
Because of initiatives and events like Fill the Fountain of Knowledge water bill campaign, Yoga on the Field, GEF’s first annual Stampede 5K & Color run, 2nd annual Golf Tournament and the very successful Treasures for Teachers campaign, the foundation has been able to give back more than $128,000 in grants & gifts to not only the STEM departments but to fine arts, the SPED department, libraries and to individual classroom teachers in 2016.
2016 EIG & Individual School Grants: • $40,000
* SPED Programs/All Schools –Closing the Gaps for Math & Reading Grant $6,383.55
* Dogwood Elementary Library –Dolphin Leveled Reader Library Grant $5,000
* Farmington 2nd grade Teacher –Deaton to 1 iPad’s Grant $4,600
* Farmington RTI Coach –RTI iPad’s and Carts Grant $1,200
* HMS Principal – 21st Century Classroom Grant $2,000
* HMS 8th grade STEM Teacher –EV3 Robot Kits Grant $6,817
* Riverdale Elementary & Middle School Library –iPad’s for All Learners Grant $10,000
* Riverdale 8th grade Science –Putting the “T” in Technology Grant $4,000
Deaton to 1 IPAD’s Grant Fulfilled!
Closing the Gap for Math & Reading SPED Grant Fulfilled!
TREASURES FOR TEACHERS: $43,800.00
• The GEF sponsored $36,500.00 and partnered with Knowledge Tree who adding a gift of $7,300, 365 Teachers received $120 gifts totaling $43,800.00
In 2015, the GEF awarded $25,000 to the Fine Arts Departments. The donation these schools received was specifically earmarked for their Fine Arts Departments by the Germantown Charity Horse Show. Check out the NEWS section of this website to see photos of the the recent school recipients.
Riverdale: $8,250 Farmington: $5,250 Dogwood: $5,500 Houston Middle: $6,000
From 2006 to 2013, the Germantown Education Foundation awarded 38 grants totaling almost $500,000. Including the matching funds on 32 grants, the foundation had awarded a grand total of $830,000!
Below are examples of grants the Germantown Education Foundation awarded from 2006 to 2013.
- Farmington Science Lab Grant. “I am loving the science lab! It is wonderful to have all of those resources at your fingertips! Experiments are not as overwhelming as in the past because the science lab has greatly reduced the preparation time and expense.” ~Kelly Rhodes, Third Grade Teacher, Farmington Elementary
- Houston High Computer and eBooks. “The computers and laptops have helped our students create podcasts, keynote presentations, and Webpages. The eBooks provided by the GEF allow students to access an unlimited number of books at school and at home.” ~Angie Gilland, Mathematics Teacher, Houston High School
- Riverdale Math and Library Grants. “Riverdale students are experiencing great growth in Math. The Alexandria Program has created a more efficiently run library while assisting parents, students, teachers, and library staff. Over 1,000 students read and are tested on 70 books a year. This places great demand on our library resources. Because of the Germantown Education Foundation, students are being enriched on a daily basis at Riverdale.” ~David Carlisle, Principal, Riverdale
We anticipate our next round of grants to be available for the spring of 2017 school year.
EDUCATOR INITIATIVE GRANTS:
Educator Initiative Grants (EIG) are awarded to individual classroom teachers. The grants are designed to encourage, facilitate, recognize and reward INNOVATIVE AND CREATIVE instructional approaches used in accomplishing program objectives.
Click below to download an EIG Teacher/or GMSD school grant application.